Late on posting again! No profound message here to accompany these dishes other than I’m slowly but surely working on becoming a professional hermit like Futaba Sakura from Persona 5. She’s my spirit animal, and living alone and spending time alone sounds like a great time.
Here’s what I made and ate:
- Mapo Tofu (from My Hero Academia Season 5)
- No spoilers here but there’s an episode in My Hero Academia Season 5 where Deku, Bakugo and Todoroki eat this dish, and to be honest, it didn’t occur to me to make it myself. It wasn’t until I was down the rabbit hole of anime TikTok and someone showed a video of them making it, and it looked DELICIOUS in real life.
- Tofu Rice Dumplings
- This is the third time I’ve made this, and I cannot get it right for some reason! The rice paper gets crispy on the outer layer, but the inner layer becomes gelatinous and makes it chewy. It’s probably related to the vegetables and tofu letting go of water and causing the paper to absorb it. So, lesson learned to make sure the tofu and cabbage are both completely dried out before wrapping them. (Plus, let’s be real, the anxiety of burning the rice paper and setting of the smoke alarm is real LOL)
- Keto Eggroll bowl
- A great recipe to make if you’re craving egg rolls but are too lazy to wrap them all and fry them! And it’s low-carb and keto friendly! Although I did eat mine with a little bit of rice.
- Kimchi Soondubu Jigae
- I forgot how I stumbled upon this one, but it’s incredibly easy to make – you put all the ingredients in a pot and let it simmer and mesh all the flavors. On top of that, because I live alone, one small pot can last me 3 – 4 meals. It’s usually made with pork shoulder, but I use beef ‘cause HEB doesn’t have the right type of pork meat to eat with it. Seldom do I go to the asian grocery store to get it, so making it with what I got!
I will say this… there was a time in Austin, TX for college where I was eating more tofu, but then I couldn’t recreate that same craving living in Los Angeles. Now, it’s found its way back onto my plate! I feel like I eat more tofu than I do red meat now, and I am not complaining one bit!
What’s on your plates?